Monday, September 10, 2007

Meals






What is one of the most fascinating things about living abroad language, culture, climate..e.g.? Not at all! You need to eat everyday and that makes the difference from my point of view. I got the change to try disgusting as well as most delicious dishes from all over the world. So what’s the case in Indonesia? Yeah you are right there are a lot of options. I do love asian style food. Well I think you can’t say asian- the food is everywhere different. So getting local I will describe some of the “tasty” options in Indonesia. Starting with breakfast: no chance- I am a western guy, but Indonesians tend to have a hearty meal also for breakfast, I do get a toast. Indonesians love to eat so you get always something to eat in between. Means when you are in a meeting you will receive a small box, containing water, small snacks like fried “fat roll”, fried garlic peanuts, chilli and a mint collared piece of cake or a complete meal instead of lunch. Once I counted the boxes received on one day- seven and the main meals where extra-amazing! For lunch you have different options- there is always a “warung” (food stall/ pushcart on the streets) nearby. They are offering most famous things like nasi goreng, mie goreng e.g. most tourist think that’s it about Indonesian food and get pretty fast bored of it. Indeed indonesians love fried dishes but there is a lot more than fried rice on the street. I do love “padang” food- you use your fingers to eat. My favourite is rendang- spicy beef, which I have more than once a week. One of my favourites for dinner is a place called “SS warung”- sounds like a nazi place and sometimes you might think they want to kill you with their spicy food. SS stands for “special sambal”- means extra spicy sauce for your fried chicken, tempe or fish- finger licking!!!
Other finger licking food is as usual all parts of animals, what you never thought you could eat it, served boiled, fried or grilled for example as sate! Sate sticks are normally served as chicken sticks, but I do got also rat- sticks once. Not to forget- Nasi (rice) goes with every meal!
At least once a week I go for western food for dinner- mostly on friday night to Bintang resto- it’s in the “tourist” area and they do serve one of the best club sandwiches I ever had! Bintang is also a hangout place for some expats, locals and tourist alike cause they do serve beer. One Club and a couple of Bintangs and you are perfectly prepared for a long party night!
Stay tuned for more finger licking stuff after leaving a club....

No comments: