Thursday, October 18, 2007

Idul Fitri



You might got it- I am a western guy living in a Muslim country, so I have to respect the given rules. After a long month of “fasting” of any kind of entertainment the holy month ended up in what Christians might know as Christmas holidays. I was looking forward for the end of ramadhan and thought it might end up a huge party with celebrations e.g.
Nothing like that happens- it’s a nightmare. All Indonesians travel back to their families to celebrate. The result is- prices are doubled, tickets are sold out weeks before and nearly every place in my hometown was closed. Even the places for western tourists shut down. At least for four days I could choose between to bakery restaurants and a 24/7 convenience store to get entertainment, food and drinks. Not funny at all besides the “bintang” party in front of
circle K at one night until 5am!
Next year I will leave the country or fly in advance to a small island to relax by the beach instead of getting pissed off in a huge city where everybody left.
Stay tuned for next reports on back to “normal” life.

No comments: